sábado, 6 de novembro de 2010

Sunrise at Sunset by Jaz Primo

Description: “We vampires are focused and tend to shape our own realities.”

My name is Katrina Rawlings, and I am a vampire. I declare that with neither pride nor ego. I am simply nature’s most dangerous predator. On occasion, it’s a very valuable quality. It helped me protect Caleb Taylor one day when he was very young. But that single, traumatic day is behind him now; wiped from his memory, or so I hope.

Caleb has finally matured into a rather striking young man, and believe me, I like what I see. I’ll readily admit that there are issues for us to confront and overcome, though a sense of mutual commitment isn’t one of them. I’m feeling hopeful for our future together, in fact. But an adversary from my past has returned to haunt me, and she’s trying to get back at me through Caleb. That was her first...and last...mistake. I’ll protect my Caleb at all costs, and I’ll make her regret the day she was born.

So, I suppose that I’m not just a vampire. I’m about to become someone’s worst nightmare!

Review: Almost twenty years ago, Katrina Rawlings was helped by a little boy named Caleb. The years have passed but she looks the same. She is a vampire. Nowadays, she meets Caleb again and they fall in love. But then he is shown just what kind of dangers a vampire mate may have to endure...

I really enjoyed this book. It shows us the vampire-human relationship with a different angle - Katrina is the vampire, and an alpha nonetheless. Being the stronger one, she is quite protective of him, and when a threat comes their way, I was a bit annoyed at her overprotection. But I understood her need to do that. Their relationship is quite special and unusual for her. I also liked how Katrina wanted to be straight-forward with him about being a vampire. His reaction when she tells him is believable but amusing somehow.

The secondary characters - well, I adored Paige and wanted to know more about Alton. Paige because she's so cute and funny and Alton because he seems old and experienced. The villain - well I didn't get to know the villain as much as I'd like, but said villain posed a pretty good threat. I should warn that the book's pace is slower and the buildup of the story is quite different than what one might be used, but I didn't mind at all.

There are things to improve and little tidbits to deal with, but I definitely ended up wanting to read more, and I believe I will read the next installment. Oh, and by the way, I'm a big fan of the description.
 
Pages: 432
 
Publisher: Rutherford Literary Group

2 comentários:

  1. I'd never heard of this book before, and I'm not lying whan I say the sinopses doesn't catch me either.
    Maybe it's the fact that there are already too many vampire books that sound about the same (even though the fact the roles are reversed can be entertaining). Still, since you said you like it, I might give it a shot someday, I may even be surprised.
    I'll be waiting for your review on the second book.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think this book might be, how does one say it, "independentely published"? It's not quite known internationally - I heard about it (and won it) on a book club on Facebook. (Yes I know it's a bit strange but there are pages with book clubs on Facebook - they are quite handy, actually, because the admins there post photo albums with tons of books - an interesting way to select the next book to read.)

    I'm sorry, I digressed. I guess the book might improve with an editor, because the pace of writing and the development of the book's plot are not what we might see nowadays with many other books. But this also set the book apart from others for me.

    The vampires thing has definitely been done a lot, but the strength of the book is the reversal of roles. The girl is the kick-ass, dangerous, with-a-dark-past vampire; the guy is the sensitive, down-to-earth, pretty decent human. I felt their relationship was depicted quite full of obstacles, which was more realistic than those perfect, shiny (yes, pun intended) vampire-human romantic relationships from other books.

    Anyway, with a comment this long, I might have gotten lost a bit, so if you are still reading, thank you for bearing with me. The second book hasn't come out yet, but the first one isn't available on Book Depository. I think it's on Amazon.uk, but I never used Amazon to order books, so I have no idea about those pesky shipping taxes. =) But if you ever get more interested in the book, I might be able to lend it. ^^

    ResponderEliminar