sábado, 27 de agosto de 2011

Vesper, Jeff Sampson

I'm submitting this book to the 2011 Debut Author Challenge, hosted by The Story Siren.


Review: This book wastes no time in starting its story, with the main character, Emily, finding herself doing strange things, very unlike herself. Dressing her stepsister's clothes, sneaking out of the house to go to parties, doing crazy stunts. It's like she has a whole new personality that comes around at nighttime. The thing is, Emily is a geek, self-conscious and with a low self-esteem. She would never do that kind of thing.

Vesper felt quite realistic to me, as Emily is a very relatable character, because of her self-esteem and because of her self-proclaimed geekdom (she had me at mentioning her TBR pile). I was also surprised at this book, because in a genre full of repeated tropes, it felt fresh; and another interesting thing is how the book deals with becoming someone else - faster, bolder, more extroverted, outspoken. It's everyone's fantasy, to wish to become other person.

One downside of the book is that it slows down in the middle and drags on too much the situation of Emily trying to find out what's going on. Her friend Megan also got me really mad with her singlemindedness about popular people and Emily starting to resemble them. But she grew a bit on me when I saw how she forgave Emily for her craziness without having any explanations.

The final chapters pick up the pace again and it was very exciting to realize what was going on with Emily and with the underlying mystery. I'll just say that the notion of a teen pack wandering around in a quiet neighborhood sounds promising.

The transcripts in-between every few chapters are quite interesting. And the last transcript and the last page of the last chapter made me more eager to read the next installment, as they did drop a few bombs on my lap. I'm very curious to read how it turns out.

Pages: 304

Publisher: Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins imprint)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário